Kauai Mokihana Festival — Sept 24 – 30
The Kauai Mokihana Festival is a time-honored week-long celebration of Hawaiian culture, including educational lectures, music, chants and the end-of-week hula competition. This year’s theme is “A Year of Songs and Chants of Hawaii.” A Hawaiian church service starts the week off at the historic Kapaa First Hawaiian Church on the 24th, followed by a workshop on Oli (chant) on Monday. Then a composers contest and concert is on tap at the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach on the 27th. Thursday Friday and Saturday bring a hula workshop and the hula competition in Lihue. Join in — public welcome! Tickets for events are available at Vicky’s Fabrics in Kapaa, 4-1326 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaʻa, HI 96746.
• Sunday, September 24, 10:00 am — Hawaiian Church Service at the historic Kapaa First Hawaiian Church;
• Monday, September 25, 5:00 – 7:00 pm – Workshop: Oli (Chant) by Kumu Kawai Hamberg;
• Wednesday, September 27, 6:00 pm – Composers Contest & Concert at the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort.
• Hula Competition/Craft Fair at the Kaua’i War Memorial Convention Hall
• Friday, September 29, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm – Crafts Fair at the Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall
• Friday, September 29, 6:00 pm – Kahiko Nei
• Saturday, September 30, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Crafts Fair at the Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall
• Saturday, September 30, 6:00 pm – Auana
Check out full details at https://www.maliefoundation.org/kaua-i-mokihana-festival
Sponsors: County of Kauai; Alexander & Baldwin Foundation; Kukuiula Development Company LLC; Hawaii Community Foundation; Grand Pacific Resorts
Date: September 25th to 30th
Organizer: Malie Foundation